3 Ways to Determine Your Skin Type | ellé derm
Determining your skin type is important, especially when it comes to selecting the right skin care to work for you, not against you.
The physiological state of our skin can change from season to season and it can also be influenced by the use of heaters, air conditioners etc. These factors are important to keep in mind because your skin type can change slightly depending on your environment.
Here are three ways to determine what your skin type is.
METHOD #1: THE DAY TEST
Take note of how your skin feels and look from the morning to the evening after work.
- Dry Skin - Your skin will feel dry and tight by the end of the day
- Oily Skin - Your skin looks shiny by lunchtime
- Normal Skin - There is minimal change to the skin throughout the day
- Combination Skin - Your T-zone looks shiny but the rest of the face looks normal
- Sensitive Skin - Your skin is red and can be itchy or flaky
METHOD #2: THE WASH TEST
Another easy method to determine your skin type is the wash test. After cleansing with a mild cleanser, pat dry and do not apply any product for fifteen to thirty minutes. You are likely to have:
- Dry Skin - if the skin feels tight within 15 minutes.
- Normal skin - if the skins' physiological state remains unchanged during this time
- Oily skin - if the skin starts producing oil or looks shiny within 15-30 minutes.
The wash test is also great method to determine if you are using the right cleanser! In summary, if the skin feels normal thirty minutes after cleansing, you are on the right track with cleansing.
METHOD #3: YOUR DERMATOLOGIST
Dermatology clinics now offer AI solutions to determine you skin type without you having to visit the clinic and comes at a cost.
Figuring out your skin type should not be an expensive exercise and it doesn't have to be rocket science either. We hope this article helps you start your skincare journey on the right path.
Author: Casey Bowden
Reviewed by Helen Huynh B Pharm. MPS